Saturday, August 13, 2011

Zig Zags

So I'm sitting here enjoying a rather nice glass of Johnny Walker Gold Label that a good friend gave me. My grandfather to my right watching Derek Lowe blowing the winning streak AGAIN for the Braves, 7-2 Cubs. At least Uggla got another hit. What a turn around. The guy will end up with 30 plus home runs AND hit .250 for the season. Considering his start out of the gate that's pretty damn impressive, but I digress.

As I sit here I think about the fact that I am a 35 year old single divorcee. The thought often makes me wonder at what point along my time line I should have Zigged instead of Zagged. Not being one for regret too much in life I shrug off the thought, take another sip and wonder again. I wonder if that's how we all are. Or if there are some of us out there that will never let go of what have done in the past.

SHIT!!!

Wow I thought that was another homer for the Cubs, by the way did Zambrano really retire after getting shelled??? Who cares.


I have been swinging a golf club since I was about 10 years old. My father and I would sneak off to walk nine at the Candler Park golf course in Decatur, Ga during his lunch break. Really a nice course looking back. One could play it pretty quickly but it was still challenging.

I hate golf. I mean playing. Seriously. 25 years later and I still have the same fundamental problems that make the ball jump off my club sideways rather than forward. I used to pitch fits at the driving range. Once I hit a guys golf cart while he was waiting for us to tee off.

But watching golf is an entirely different story. The ability to place a ball where you want with nothing more than a wedge of iron is truly amazing. The game is distinguished, artistic, landscaped and buttoned up. Watching makes me wish I could go out and play and makes you want to go and play. Don't believe me, check out driving ranges Sunday after The Open...packed!! It is truly a fantastic game and those who master it are truly fantastic.

8-2 Cubs......sip...ahhhh.

I am a child of the 80's. I missed golf's "Golden Era". I did not grow up with Jack and Arnold and Lee. My generation's greatest ever did not arrive until 1995. Well past my influential age.

Tiger Woods is the GREATEST golfer I have ever seen. Hell he is one of the greatest athletes I have ever seen. I have a feeling he will be the greatest golfer I will ever see. He owned the tour. People were scared of him. Tiger versus the field. Those were good bets!!! He brought more attention to golf than golf knew what to do with. He is responsible for the current "European Invasion" into golf. Not in a bad way but in a good way. Tiger Woods has inspired an entire global generation to play golf. Not because they want to beat him but be cause they want to BE him.

What ever Tiger Woods did wrong it was not a big deal, at least as far as sports go. Maybe in the world of golf, maybe because it was the number one in the world, but if you think the caddies aren't out there shagging every piece of ass they can get their shafts on your an idiot. This is a rich mans game, rich men get what they want. In the words of the great warlock Charlie Sheen, "Winning" is everything.

But Tiger was married. Well so was Micheal Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Jesse James(not sports but still) and so on and so forth. Part of the reason men excel at sports is because they love domination whether it be the opposing team or the opposite sex. That's how they are programmed. Buyer beware. That's what athletes do.

Braves Lose...eh.

Tiger's demise is not some psychological meltdown that he will never return from. The guy is aging. He is 35. Bum Knee. He played relentlessly for 15 years and WON. Not won some but won all. I can only imagine. That has to take a lot out of someone eventually.

Tiger vs the field are you kidding me?? And people won with that bet, not much but it was a safe bet. What do you think the odds of Bobby vs the field would be?? 5000 to 1?? I think there's value there.

Players fade. Greg Norman, Davis Love III, Vijay, Ernie Els. We had Tiger  for 15 years of truly the greatest golf I have ever witnessed. He was truly a beast and his legacy in golf, as well as in the bedroom, will be felt for decades yet to come.

So like Dale Jr. and Lebron James, Tiger has fallen into the sucker bet?? Will he ever win again?? Maybe. You never know.

I do wonder though...does Tiger ever wish he would  have Zigged instead of Zagged....the only answer I can come up...fire hydrant.



No comments:

Post a Comment