Ahhhhhh college!! Let me shy away from the premise of sports for a moment and dive into another topic near and dear to my heart. Learning!!
In 1994 I graduated from high school, barely!! After my fledgling "rising" years, my dad constructed some Carlisle-esc plan to keep me on track to graduate when expected. Thank the lord for that man!!!! He introduced me to the idea of "Proven 'em wrong".
In my younger years I was not so aware of what he was teaching me. Hell looking back I was applying his lessons and did not even realize it. Based on my high school GPA, SAT scores-sub 800- and my college placement exam, Georgia State estimated my first year GPA would be around 1.35. I transferred into the UGA School of Business Administration (Now Terry College of Business) with a 3.0 exactly 12 months later (Proved 'em wrong).
But my dad still left much to learn. You cant just learn to learn. "Hey I'm bored I want to learn"... doesn't happen. More like hey I'm bored lets download some animal porn. Yes that's the world we live in today.
My dad taught me that you must have a drive, a passion, a reason. So that's it. College, or Adult school as I like to call it, is truly a collective effort to try to be better. Every person at mine and every other institution of higher learning is there for one absolute reason. Happiness. Don't cloud it with monetary issues. Any idiot can make a buck. What comes along with the scholastic environment is that while money can apparently buy a short term smile knowledge ensures power. It may be just a little bit of power, but to know for an unequivocal fact that you own the other person cognitively, well that is quite empowering. Almost comical at times even.
When I step on my campus I feel part of something. Yes the football team is awesome....but part of something greater. I wear it on my sleeve. I am proud of me and my class mates. I wish them all to have a nice day and smile at them when we pass. This is my true North.
Honestly I have never been to a place that is more set up for people to succeed. If, by some disaster, you fail at college you simply did not try. And I mean the hard shit. At age 35 I am learning computer programming. 35!!!!!! Most people I know my age are scared of them. Well I guess I'm just try to play "Proven 'em Wrong"!! Wish me luck!!!
On A Side Note:
I have a young cousin starting school this semester about 45 miles west of me. For the sake of anonymity we will call her Lancy.
I wish Lancy the best of luck. Not all people have my opinion on college. She is very bright and I am sure that some of the challenges I faced in college will be mere child's play for her. She was made for college. She is way more secure than I ever was and she is brilliant. And Lancy if by chance you need help with anything.....don't be afraid to ask.
In 1994 I graduated from high school, barely!! After my fledgling "rising" years, my dad constructed some Carlisle-esc plan to keep me on track to graduate when expected. Thank the lord for that man!!!! He introduced me to the idea of "Proven 'em wrong".
In my younger years I was not so aware of what he was teaching me. Hell looking back I was applying his lessons and did not even realize it. Based on my high school GPA, SAT scores-sub 800- and my college placement exam, Georgia State estimated my first year GPA would be around 1.35. I transferred into the UGA School of Business Administration (Now Terry College of Business) with a 3.0 exactly 12 months later (Proved 'em wrong).
But my dad still left much to learn. You cant just learn to learn. "Hey I'm bored I want to learn"... doesn't happen. More like hey I'm bored lets download some animal porn. Yes that's the world we live in today.
My dad taught me that you must have a drive, a passion, a reason. So that's it. College, or Adult school as I like to call it, is truly a collective effort to try to be better. Every person at mine and every other institution of higher learning is there for one absolute reason. Happiness. Don't cloud it with monetary issues. Any idiot can make a buck. What comes along with the scholastic environment is that while money can apparently buy a short term smile knowledge ensures power. It may be just a little bit of power, but to know for an unequivocal fact that you own the other person cognitively, well that is quite empowering. Almost comical at times even.
When I step on my campus I feel part of something. Yes the football team is awesome....but part of something greater. I wear it on my sleeve. I am proud of me and my class mates. I wish them all to have a nice day and smile at them when we pass. This is my true North.
Honestly I have never been to a place that is more set up for people to succeed. If, by some disaster, you fail at college you simply did not try. And I mean the hard shit. At age 35 I am learning computer programming. 35!!!!!! Most people I know my age are scared of them. Well I guess I'm just try to play "Proven 'em Wrong"!! Wish me luck!!!
On A Side Note:
I have a young cousin starting school this semester about 45 miles west of me. For the sake of anonymity we will call her Lancy.
I wish Lancy the best of luck. Not all people have my opinion on college. She is very bright and I am sure that some of the challenges I faced in college will be mere child's play for her. She was made for college. She is way more secure than I ever was and she is brilliant. And Lancy if by chance you need help with anything.....don't be afraid to ask.
No comments:
Post a Comment